Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Thanks

know I should be grateful.
I should be grateful for being allowed to live the life I do, I should be grateful that I am allowed to be who I am but I can't.

I am grateful, however, to the people who have sacrificed their lives, time and even dignity for me to be who I am. I am forever grateful to the people who never even knew that I would exist and who have given me this incredible gift of being able to be who I am.
I am saddened by the fact that many did not get to experience this feeling that they fought, and some even died, for. That they fought and died for the right to be who they are.

I am not grateful that I get to be allowed to be who I am when so many didn't and still aren't. I will not show graditude to the people that tolerate me because they have to.

The only thing I will and can do is live my life proud and every day acknowledge that even though it should be it is not a given that I can.
I am not grateful to be able to mourn the people that I may and will never have the privilge to know. Who fought for my right to love but I am proud to be one of the people who can stand here today and live because of them.

I am not grateful that I get to wake up every day and wonder if I am next, if today will be the day that someone decides that who I am is not okay, that I am worth less than anyone else. I am not grateful for that.
But I will, every day, be happy, proud of and appreciate who I am for the millions of people who can't and know in my heart that I am equal, that I will act, think and vote for equal.

//Em


No comments:

Post a Comment